This newly established portfolio committee will be the voice of businesses within the medical profession. The aim is to create awareness, facilitate discussion and compile submissions on the health ecosystem, and how to optimise it for the well-being of all.
The Portfolio Committees were initially established to mirror the parliamentary Portfolio Committees, however, like ‘digital’, it is proposed that healthcare has become such an integral element of the economy for the well-being of the individual and the corporation, that it requires its own Portfolio Committee. It is also too specialized to be a component of the Human Resources Portfolio Committee.
The theme for the Portfolio Committee is Work Wellbeing. This is particularly relevant as it affects productivity (and hence profitability) in terms of absenteeism and presenteeism (being at work but not engaged).
The objectives are as follows:
- To be the voice of business in the healthcare sector.
- To engage new members to join the Chamber. These would include additional sectors that are currently not engaged with the Chamber but would benefit immensely as members: Hospital chains, pharmacy chains, medical practices, pharmaceutical companies, equipment suppliers and medical services such as pathology labs and medical aid administrators. We could also work with the International Trade & Tourism PC on healthcare tourism.
- To compile submissions to Government on impending legislation, such as the NHI.
- To support all our members with information and activities to improve employee wellness.
- To enhance wellness within the Chamber.