Are you experiencing high rates of unplanned employee absence? Can you tell the difference between ill health and sick leave abuse?
This workshop will help you analyse the true nature of absence in your business, develop strategies to reduce it and manage ill health incapacity dismissals to avoid costly CCMA mistakes.
Putting sick leave in context
• A formula for counting the costs and impact of unplanned absenteeism
• Sick leave from a legal perspective – an entitlement or an allowance?
• Which type of events sick leave can and can’t be used for
• How and when alcohol and substance abuse count as sick leave
• How and when injury on duty (IOD) count a sick leave
Managing sick leave
• Excessive absence – the difference between incapacity and sick leave abuse
• How to identify trends in recurring habitual absence
• Medical certificates – privacy, validity, fake notes
• Disclosure versus confidentiality – how to have sensitive discussions
• How much sick leave is too much before starting an incapacity investigation?
• The legal process to investigate incapacity
• Types of incapacity – short-term, long-term, chronic illness, habitual intermittent absence
• What “reasonable accommodation” is and hot to assess it
Incapacity hearings and dismissal
• Inviting the employee to an Incapacity Hearing
• How to conduct an Incapacity Inquiry
• Case studies: CCMA/Labour court cases on dismissals for absence
• Consideration before terminating employment
A future strategy for managing an reducing absence
Who should attend:
HR Managers, Managers and Business Owners responsible for managing employees.
Event organiser: Helga Smit – firstname.lastname@example.org
Speaker: Willow Burmeister – Savvy Skills Human Resources