- 6th July 2017
08:30 - 15:45
The purpose of this workshop is to equip the participants with skills and knowledge about the role of the chairperson at a disciplinary hearing with specific emphasis on the procedure and considering the merits of the parties’ arguments.
The participants should be able to chair a disciplinary hearing after the session.
• Distinguishing misconduct from incapacity
• The meaning of “dismissal” and disciplinary action short of dismissal
• The Code of Good Practice: Dismissal
• Substantive fairness guidelines for deciding on guilt & sanctions
• Procedural fairness – role of the chairperson
• Preparing for a disciplinary hearing
• The roadmap for conducting a hearing successfully: the 12 steps
• Rules of evidence
• Dealing with various obstacles at the hearing
• Deciding on the balance of probabilities
• Determining sanction
• Alternatives to dismissal
• The requirements of substantive and procedural fairness: case study
• The roles of the various parties involved in a disciplinary hearing: role play
• The hearing procedure and the challenges that may arise during a disciplinary hearing: case studies
• Finding and sanction: case studies
• Practical activities are aimed at preparation for the role of the chairperson in conducting the hearing as well as formulating the outcome.
Event organiser: Helga Smit on 021 402 4300 or email email@example.com
Ali Ncume, of Maserumule, completed his LL.B at Nelson Mandela Metropolitan University (NMMU) and served his articles at Greyvensteins in Port Elizabeth where he gained invaluable experience in civil litigation and employment law. Pursuing his Masters Degree in Labour Law he has involved himself in all aspects of labour litigation, consultation and training under the auspices of Greyvensteins as well as the Labour and Social Security Law Unit, Nelson Mandela Metropolitan University. He has completed a Certificate in Labour Law Practice, a course outsourced to NMMU by the CCMA. Ali also completed his Masters Degree (LLM) in Employment Law.
Venue: Cape Chamber of Commerce
Venue Phone: 0214024300Address: